September 10, 2008

Ed Koch backs Obama - calls Palin "Scary" - and what to do about friends in the other party

Just got a call from a republican friend who up until Palin was going to vote for Obama. "You're Obama made a mistake calling Palin a pig." I said, "Did you WATCH the whole clip? He was talking about McCain's non-change-oriented approach. It's a famous saying. He didn't make it up."

I think I am going to say Keating-Five-McCain every time I say his name now.

She didn't want to talk anymore after I blasted Palin and her fundy beliefs. Believe me, Palin would not have this friend of mine as her friend. "I know you're smart and it scares me when you say these things," she said. And I say, "It's not rocket science--read more than fox news!"

She had to go. I don't know if and when we'll talk, but we can't talk politics. And that's going to be increasingly difficult. What are you doing about friends and family on the other side of what republicans have turned into a culture war?

My friend is lockstep with Fox news and her Republican parents. These are dear people. I have known them. They are genuine. But they are sorely misled. Brainwashed even.

I question how I will continue to have friendships with those who are willing to let the ideology of the Palin party go mainstream -- book banning, loyalty testing, lying, end times, anti-gay, anti-choice. How? How can my friends, in particular, be part of a party who would not want them as members?

Republicans are the great pretenders, and Palin is giving them a new make-believe to believe in.

I'm looking for bright spots. Found this today: Bush-Supporting Koch is backing Obama:

Former New York Mayor Ed Koch, who endorsed and worked for George W. Bush in 2004, is endorsing Obama today, NY1 first reported.

I asked Koch just now what prompted the move.

"The designation of Palin to be vice president," he said. "She's scary."

He said he was alarmed by the report that she'd triggered a conflict with the local librarian in Wasilla, Alaska by inquiring about the possibility of banning books.

"Any time someone goes to the library and says, 'I want to ban books,' and the librarian says 'no,' and she threatens to fire them -- that's scary," he said.

NO DUH!!!! Hey, Koch, could you call my friend?

---